Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Q's Day: Are You Sneaky in the Kitchen?

I often modify recipes to bump up the nutritional value, but I have no problem sharing what I changed or added.  It seems that at some point or another, most people have been 'deceptive' or 'sneaky' and have added vegetables, fruit, ground flax, etc. when they're cooking or baking.  Sometimes it's a way to help make sure your picky eater is getting more vegetables and fruit, at other times it may be based on the ingredients you have available. 

I don't like the idea of trickery, because I would love to live in a world where people enjoy healthy eating and they know that 'healthy' foods taste great.  I don't think that world exists, and I know that we all have different taste preferences.  Depending on how long your food dislikes list is, it may be hard for you to meet all your nutrient requirements at times, and you also miss out on variety. 

Based on some client requests, I've been looking at recipes that sneak in extra vegetables and fruit, but there are many ways that you can alter your recipes.  If you saw the post yesterday on Lentil Granola Bars, you may have noticed the lentil puree - a great way to increase consumption of meat alternatives. I also have a recipe that I will post soon for a loaf that I recently tried with broccoli and carrot puree.

Since it's Q's Day, I want to know:

Have you ever been sneaky and added vegetables & fruit to your recipes?

Feel free to share whether it turned out, was a flop, had anyone suspecting you were up to something, or any recipes, comments, questions, or answers.

Steph Langdon (Wheler), RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com